At Bridgewater our aim is to provide our children with an engaging, exciting and empowering curriculum that equips them for today and tomorrow.
Our aim in History is to meet the requirements of the National curriculum and ensure that all children leave Bridgewater with a broad and balanced view of the History of Britain and other societies and cultures, including ancient civilisations and empires.
At Bridgewater our intent is that children will:
- Develop a secure understanding of the chronology of the British Isles and other important periods of History.
- Gain an excellent knowledge and understanding of significant individuals and events both nationally and worldwide.
- Develop a sense of curiosity about the past and how and why people interpret the past in different ways.
- Have an understanding of how life has changed from previous generation
- Have an understanding of a range of different historical sources and where they come from. For example, photographs, books, artefacts and videos.
- Be able to use historical sources to evaluate and challenge their own and others’ views.
- Increase use of historical vocabulary and terminology. For example, century decade, civilisation, peasantry and parliament
- Experience a range of trips and visits to enrich their experience of History in a primary setting.